Monday, 1 January 2007

Happy New Year!

Last Friday I headed off to Heathrow in what can only be described as frozen fog. Those that know me know how much I like to complain about the weather! This time it was perfectly justified, as the fog kept us sitting on the runway for an additional 2 hours, after which they had to de-ice the wings before we took off on an 11 hour flight to Cape Town. I sat next to a British couple from Grenwich who were visiting Cape Town for the first time. I passed the time by writing a mini travel guide of Cape Town for them so that they knew where to go and what to do.

On Saturday I finally arrived in Cape Town to warm weather and sunshine. You really feel the heat when you go from 0 to 30 degrees overnight! Saturday night we threw a hen night for Shelley. It was a fun night, but it didn't compare to the hen weekend we'd had in Barcelona in October. I bumped into so many people I hadn't seen in years. It makes you realise how small Cape Town really is. I was really happy to get some sleep by the time we got home late on Sat night.


I spent the next few days seeing friends and family, and spent a day on the beach and a day by the pool trying to get a bit of colour. I am proud to say I no longer look British (i.e. pale)!




Monday night we threw Shelley a pamper party at my parents place. 45 people turned up and it was quite an evening. Shelley really enjoyed it and she got so many nice presents I was jealous!

Finally on Wednesday the wedding day arrived! It was quite a production. I was out the house by 8:30 - at the hairdresser, then off for a manicure and pedicure, then to the bridal suite at the Mount Nelson hotel, where Shelley had arranged makeup artists to do all of our makeup. We got Shelley dressed - she looked absolutely amazing - and then we all got ready. The photographer arrived and we had photos taken before the wedding. We then went to the Garden Shul for the wedding - it was a fantastic wedding - even I was a bit teary eyed (minutes after bragging to Lisa that I never cry)! Then there were more photos, and back to the Mount Nelson Hotel for the reception. This was followed by even more photos while the other guests enjoyed drinks and canapes in the garden. I can honestly say that I have never had such sore feet in my life after standing in heels for so many hours! The reception was great, and Shelley and Marc both make great speeches, and we danced until the band finally stopped playing. It was a fantastic wedding!

The last few days I have been sick - think my body isn't used to relaxing and not having any stress (the joys of being unemployed)! I am now on antibiotics so am feeling a lot better, and sure I'll be back to normal within the next couple of days.

New Years Eve was spent at Shelley's house having a braai. I couldn't face a big party, so the braai was just perfect.

Tomorrow I am going to the cricket (SA vs India), and then Bernita and I are going to Knysna on Wednesday morning. I'll write more after that.

For now Happy New Year! There are some photos loaded onto my images site, mostly from the wedding (http://julia.funkypeople.net/).