Sunday, 7 January 2007

The Garden Route

Since I last wrote I spent a day at Newlands for the first day of the third South Africa vs India test match. It wasn't the most exciting game I've ever watched, but it's always nice to spend a day at the cricket, especially when the weather is so good. South Africa of course won the game and the series.

After cricket I went to Wafu in Mouille Point for drinks. The view was fantastic, and the company wasn't too bad either ;).


I've just got back from a 5 day trip up the Garden Route. On Wednesday Bernita and I drove up to Knysna (well Bernita drove and I was on "speed camera" duty). I have to say I far prefer the bright yellow speed cameras in England, at least you can see them! We made the customary stop at Riviersonderend for old times sake. It was a bit of a disappointment, as the restaurant is now a Steers, and I had a really revolting toasted "plastic" cheese and tomato. On the way back today we wisened up and stopped at a Farm Stall in a place called Dassiesfontein. Can't say I'd ever heard of the place before today, but it was very nice.

Anyway, back to the actual trip. After a long drive we arrived in Knsyna and made our way to Ian and Elaine's house on Thesen Island aka Pleasantville/Wisteria Lane. Only on Thesen Island can you sleep with your front door unlocked - a real novelty for South Africa. It really is the most idealistic place I have ever been to. Thesen Island is made up of a number of islands, with neatly paved and manicured roads and bridges, and similarly architectured homes with white picket fences. Ian and Elaine's house is beautiful and so peaceful (other than the 16 baby geese in the next door garden).

We spent 5 days just relaxing and getting lots of sleep. Elaine took us around Knsyna, and we had some really great dinners. Bin and I also did a day trip to Plett (visited Bin's friends at Global Village), and then spent the rest of the day in Keurboomstrand which is one of the most beautiful places I have seen in a long time. The one side was mountain forest, and the other side was a beautiful beach. We had lunch at Enrico's, and then spent the afternoon on the beach. On our last day the weather was overcast and raining, so we relaxed in the morning, and then Elaine treated us to facials at Pezula Spa on the Knsyna Heads. We spent the afternoon at Pezula having a facial, lying on the water beds with jacuzzi jets, swimming and sitting in the jacuzzi. I could definitely think of worse ways to spend a cloudy afternoon.

All in all it was a great trip, and I had a really good time. Now I am back in Cape Town for 5 days before heading off to South America.

Juliet and I have a new recruit for the first few weeks of the trip. Herrie, Juliet's friend from Architecture, is joining us for most of the Brazil leg of the journey. The best part is that he speaks Portuguese as he's lived in Brazil before. So we now have our very own translator! Just as well as my attempts to learn Spanish haven't been very successful, and I haven't even thought about learning any Portuguese yet (no hurry!). Juliet and I leave at 6am on Saturday morning, and we meet Herrie in Joburg before catching our connecting flight to Sao Paulo.

So unless something very excited happens between now and Saturday, I'll probably only update the blog once I am in Brazil.

Until then, vĂȘ-lo mais tarde (which I hope means "see you later" in Portuguese). Otherwise Hasta Leugo, which I know means "see you later" in Spanish (phew, at least I've learnt something)!